Tapas, Taverns & History Tour
A 2-in-1 tapas and history adventure! Taste the city’s best tapas while uncovering its fascinating past along the way.
- A non-touristy food and tapas tour of the secrets of Granada's delicious cuisine-- which is much more than the "free tapas" that come with a drink!
- The best authentic tapas in Granada at four off-the-beaten-path places that locals love, carefully selected from Granada's countless tapas bars
- A historic walking tour of Granada including the Cathedral, former silk market, 14th century Moorish University, the square where the Spanish Inquisition took place and more!
- An insider born-and-bred Granada guide who will teach you to do tapas like a local -- from choosing an authentic tapas bar to the unwritten rules of ordering and paying
- Hear fascinating stories about Moorish Granada and more, as you see how Moorish Granada shaped the city we have today
- From a flamenco bar, to Holy Week bar, to historic hole-in-the-wall to a favorite among the stars, get an overview of the best of Granada’s tapas bar scene!
A fun, fascinating, and delicious exploration of the food and culture of an amazing city. Can't say enough good things about the tour! We really enjoyed the insights into the life of the city that our guide shared with us. And it was such a pleasure to be walked through the bustling streets of Granada to some of the most amazing tapas bars we've been to in almost a year in Spain.
This was our first night in Granada, and doing this tour with Marta was the best thing we could have done. We are independent travelers, and we don't tend to partake in organised tours, opting to be free range and do our own exploring. However, this tour with Marta was so valuable for us in terms of information, and it was exciting to go into tapas bars and wine bars teeming with Granada locals and to feel confident about entering and not intimidated at all.
We thoroughly enjoyed our evening with Marta. The food and drinks were excellent and very diverse. We understood both the city's history and its food culture much better by the end of the very full evening. We highly recommend Devour Granada.
- Aged sheep cheese
- Freshly fried fish
- Baby broad beans with ham
- Grilled Iberian pork with basil sauce
- Seabass with carrot puree and Iberian ham infused oil
- A special local version of 'tortilla' (Spanish omlette)
- Something sweet to finish!
- A glass of sparkling wine from Granada
- Local draft beer
- Refreshing 'tinto de verano'
- Red or white wine from Granada
What to Expect on Your Tour
This two-in-one tour gives you the very best of Granada’s tapas, along with the can’t-leave-without-hearing stories of its past! Learn to do tapas like a local as you make your way through Granada’s city center, hearing the stories of the Moorish occupation, to the Spanish Inquisition, to unheard tales of Granada’s Alhambra Palace, visiting four of Granada’s most unique and iconic family-run tapas bars and restaurants.
STOP BY STOP:
We’ll begin in a corner of the city that will transport you back to medieval Moorish Granada, and your expert English-speaking local guide will begin to tell you about life in Moorish Spain.
Next, we’ll hit our first tapas stop, a hidden wine and tapas bar open for decades and dedicated to keeping the flamenco culture alive in Granada (another aspect of local culture that has connections with the city’s turbulent history).
As we make our way through the charming back streets of Granada’s city center we’ll take you past the tourist traps and give you the inside track on how locals go out for tapas in Granada. Our next stop is for tapas at a gorgeous hole in the wall bar that has been serving a local favorite , fried fish, since the 1800s.
Continuing on, you’ll wind through the heart of this old Moorish and Christian city, discovering hidden monuments and famous landmarks – including the Cathedral, the old Moorish market, and the city’s most iconic squares, and hear the stories that bring this part of the city to life.
Next up, we’ll visit one of Granada’s most atmospheric tapas bars, entirely dedicated to the Holy Week, our Easter celebration and one of the most important weeks of the year for locals. Of course, accompanied by local beer and a tapa unique to Granada.
Our last stop for the evening is for a sit-down dinner in one of Granada’s most iconic and authentic local restaurants (and a favorite of the stars!) to feast on our favorite local dishes and Granada specialties, accompanied by wines from Granada’s own winemaking region.
By the end you’ll be happily full and have a deeper understanding of Granada’s food, culture, and history. And you’ll see how all three tie together into one fascinating story. And as always with Devour Granada tours, your guide will give you a copy of our Devouring Granada mini guide, packed with our favorite places to eat and drink in the city, so you’ll be eating well for the rest of your stay!
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
Explore the winding lanes and iconic squares of historic Granada, full of fascinating influences from Moorish and Christian history